Love is not one-size-fits-all — yet people often assume that healthy, serious relationships all must follow the same basic path. The “Relationship Escalator” is society’s bundle of customs for intimate relationships: monogamy, living together, marriage and more, ideally until death do you part. Beyond that, it might not be obvious what your options are.
The “Relationship Escalator” is society’s bundle of customs for intimate relationships: monogamy, living together, marriage and more, ideally until death do you part. Beyond this, it might not be obvious what your relationship options are.
From consensual nonmonogamy (including polyamory and swinging), to asexuality, to pause/play relationships and more, this groundbreaking new book offers a wealth of insights, experiences and perspectives on uncommon relationship choices.
This book will help you:
- Discover less common relationship options that might suit you.
- Understand why and how people have unconventional relationships.
- Empower you to negotiate about how your relationships work.
- Overcome the fear that loving differently means you’re doing it wrong.
- Make the world a friendlier, safer place for more paths to love.
Based on over 1500 detailed responses to a survey, Stepping Off the Relationship Escalator features real stories and insights from hundreds of real people. The first in a series of books from the Off the Escalator Project, this introduction to relationship diversity is both accessible and surprising.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Amy Gahran is a journalist based in Boulder Colorado. Over 1500 people participated in her survey on unconventional relationships.